This is the second of the two bicycles purchased from Burrit Kerr’s Auction. This rare 1897 E&D was made by the Evans and Dodge Bicycle Company in Windsor.
John and Horace Dodge, were American brothers who came from humble beginnings in Niles, Michigan. They came to work as
machinists for the Dominion Typograph Company in Windsor, Ontario.
The Doge Brothers started making bicycles in a small corner of the Typograph building and invented the first ball bearing
bicycle. Their talent as machinists was soon recognized by a Detroit businessman, Frederick Evans. Together they organized the Evans and Dodge Bicycle Company.
The bicycles were “safety” bicycles, with wooden wheels, wooden handle bars and a skip tooth chain. The head badge of the bicycles was a metal emblem with the letters E&D intertwined on a Maple Leaf, giving it the nickname ” The Maple Leaf Bike”.
E&D was only in production for two years before the company was sold and incorporated into CCM in 1899, thus it is unlikely there are many examples of this bicycle with the “E&D” Maple Leaf Badge, before it was changed to bear the CCM logo.
The Dodge Brothers took the proceeds from the CCM amalgamation and the ball bearing patent and opened a very successful
machine shop back in Detroit. They began to supply parts and assemblies to Detroit’s growing autoindustries . After years of fulfilling large contracts for such giants as the Olds Motor Vehicle Company and the upstart Ford Motor Company, the brothers decided to use their own clever resources to produce their own complete vehicle in 1915 and the Dodge Brothers Motor Company was born!
We are so very pleased to be able to save and share such a monumental step in Industrial history! It also has a very significant local history, as Burrit recalls it belonged to Bobcaygeon’s Post Master, and was proobably bought from the same retail agent as the “Red Bird” Bicycle!